Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Because the Sun Never Shines on Closed Doors


It's time I'll take before I begin
Three sheets to the wind, three sheets to the wind.

Sometimes I wake up in a drunken rage. No booze involved.
Sometimes it's a belligerent sadness without cause or purpose. Something harmless happens in the early hours or during a time when I am particularly distracted, when I am admittedly rationality-compromised, I take it as some abstract version of a personal assault or threat and go bonkers. When I come to my senses it's as if I've awakened to find I'm in some alley in the sketchy part of my mind, wearing a french tutu and a wrestling singlet. My mustache askew, false eyelashes everywhere. A mess! There goes the neighborhood.   

Isn't it incredible the way that being conscious of our actions adds such quality to them? Mom taught us to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
That means taking a second- a psychic hiccup- to take notice of the situation, the context, the subtleties of the moment. For some reason, maybe it's the tedious nature of the practice in contrast to our seriously important tin-toy lives, we all sometimes leave it in the car or forget it at the office.
This wee small thing combined with the practice of also becoming conscious of our placement in this one moment, on this planet; in life, is perhaps the first step to all things good. The Better Path.
Personally, I notice my "footsteps" become less awkwardly-wandering and more seemingly choreographed when I focus on the face value of things, start taking things in without judging or categorizing. Sometimes it's not easy.

The little simple things make the most of life when we practice like a discipline or protocol for life the constant small act of consciousness.
I know I need to edit more blips of reexamination into my brain.
The unconscious 'dome' is a petri dish for nasty things. Our inner reactions and judgments create our actions, or lack there of. Simple enough- yeah right.

Our inner reactions are like the environment of the petri dish- the warmth, the light, the moisture- which make it ideal for new growth. They are things we take with us from childhood, sometimes they aren't the most sensible things to have lugged around with you all these years, looking back, but eh, what do you do?
Will the values, morals, love, fears, defensive complexes, hypocritical patterns, and ingrained/learned but shadowed parts of our minds create helpful Penicillin- smiles, acceptance, tough truth, patience, or will our unchecked minds create a dangerous, explosive funny colored mold?

Here's some stuff I do to get back to being less destructive:

Having cuddle time with Dr. Bones, Gretchen and Tiberious

Grow broccoli and Thyme and Squashes

Grow Onions

Go look at the sunset into the Ocean!

1 comment:

Snohomish Shepherdess said...

Keeping that door open, stepping through to the outside -and not running back in and slamming the door again is the trick. Remind yourself daily that you are a beautiful soul and loved -ALL of you.