Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mother's Milk

My last post was filled with N words, and I'm still not done with them!

Reading cookbooks and glancing over nutritional content/benefits of the baked items in question has left me with my ears ringing. Mental telephone calls echoing through my skull- "oh yay! MORE saturated fat in this one!" and 1 1/2 lb butter block!?" "Processed sugar, wheat flour, saturated fat, Espresso and sugar syrup are going to invade my life!!!!!"
But it will be fun, and I won't be taste testing alone! There are many opportunities to introduce healthy and delicious coffee goodies full of Omega 3s, slowly released sources of energy and that sugary zip, to please the palette (and mind)!

For at least the past twenty years, the scientific world has conducted some very useful research between the relationship of nutrition and our mind/emotional state. We now know that the chemicals in our brains which effect many of our most intimate functions can be manipulated with the use of synthetic compounds, and  certain combination of natural substances found in plants. Recently, more attention has been paid to the effects of our food choices in combination with physical activity on our mental state.
Food allergies or sensitivity also show a clear indication of altered function in the central nervous system.

I think it is important to keep an eye on these studies and educate ourselves about our bodies. Those of us fortunate enough to have had particularly nurturing and conscientious parenting also have a great wealth to draw from. The knowledge and habits we acquire as we grow, like mother's milk, are tailor made nutrition guides. My mom always kept an eye on how often I ate, knowing I am vulnerable to low blood sugar freak outs, and whether I was hydrated properly, knowing I will neglect that necessity and become listless, moody. She gave those tools to me through her constant drilling as soon as I was able to talk(back)! ;)
Mommy gave me the common sense to look inside and ask, "are you being shitty because you didn't feed yourself yet today, or is it really because you 'have to do yaddayadda'...?" I know that a lot of the things we tell ourselves before we get out of bed in the morning, and later during that down swing in the day come from regular dehydration and lower blood sugar, and are important enough to pay attention to- for everyone, some more than others!

It has taken me halfway through my twenty second year of life to put down the meds and accept the un-pleasantries accompanying the good harvest each year. For me, the use of medication for my irregularities never completely made sense, but seemed like a responsible thing to do at the time... all those times.

Some folks truly have a wide ranging, low functioning sort of chemistry and rely on medications, and that is an important commitment to make- but balanced nutrition is still required to maximize the effects of the treatment.
I think the medications I've taken don't quite do the trick, or leave me with bizarre side effects like nausea (when I already don't want to eat), or sleepiness (when I tend to sleep too much anyway), because I haven't been making enough of an effort to utilize the tools I was given growing up to nurture my self nutritionally!

I've been without medication for seven months, the first time in six years and I have noticed a much more acceptable experience of life when I think of the food I eat as my medicine. My choices have changed, my tastes have changed. Fred and I have gained an appreciation for whole grains, plates full of fresh vegetables, and simple home made goods.

2 to 4 ounces of  the right kind of snack or small meal can modify mental behavior within 30 to 45 minutes!
The amino acid tyrosine is directly related to levels of dopamine and norepinephrine (brain chemicals that facilitate faster thinking, alertness and motivation), and a snack of  low fat (fatty foods cause blood to leave the brain and surround the stomach to aid digestion for longer periods, causing lethargy) fish, chicken, tofu, low fat or non fat diary products and dried lentils or any other protein rich, low fat food can get you ready to go!
Tryptophan is the principal amino acid from which seretonin (brain chemical which increases sensations of calmness, less distraction and and an easing of the negative feelings of stress and anxiety) is made. Foods rich in carbohydrates eaten without protien (as tyrosine trumps tryptophan every time), like cooked whole grains, breads, pasta and low protein muffins are good foods which increase our bodies' access to tryptophan.
Both of these amino acids are considered essential, which means our bodies can not synthesize them independently!

Interesting!

No comments: