Monday, February 28, 2011

Comfort Food

Some leftover chicken and rice soup that Fred made was the inspiration for tonight's chicken and dumplings.
Thank goodness for that guy!

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that if you are low on flour and butter, but have pancake mix and some dairy- you can make the best ever dumplings anyway! I mixed plain yogurt and a drizzle of milk into a couple cups of mix and voila~

Yes, of course I seasoned them! This time, I did not over-do-it, HUSZAA! Salt, pepper, paprika and some smoky mustard. I also added parsley, basil, dried onion, garlic and pepper flakes to the broth which I added to the very rice-y soup. Something that really makes a soup a goood soup (other than dumplings), in my opinion, is the addition of greens such as spinach, kale, chard, cabbage or mustard greens. Also, slow cooking and using slow roasted meat and a wide variety of hearty vegetables helps create a masterpiece of a soup.

The weather outside has been scary loud- wind and rain at the windows like a stubborn old haunt. The darkness out doors and uninspiring wait for spring time ahead of us, has inspired a bout of lethargy which reaches into my appetite. But just look at those dumplings! I can't say no.

No comments: