Sunday, January 30, 2011

Family by Marriage Goes to Portland

I realize that Friday was not Wednesday and that my car ride to Portland with my mommy, sister, her sister in law, mother in law and the mom of the groom, is "tomorrow" and not in two days. Fun, fun.
This is another thing that having this sort of life does to a person.
Who needs to look at the calender when all you do is by no means dependent on careful scheduling or indeed, even the day of the week.

Malls make me want to act out like a Will Ferrell character- hysterically flailing around, screaming nonsense and just plain making a major distraction. Malls use to be a fascinating outing for me, now they are a bold and underlined statement of consumerism and the speakers hidden in potted plant arrangements seem to scream "you aren't okay without my $200 dollar shoes and $400 cardigan". Packs of UN-domesticated humans standing around, warily eyeballing each other reminds me of a scene form Nat Geo. The Serengeti with Jamba Juice stands, the predator stalking the mobs is the emblem on their credit card.

It was interesting how the two bridal shops that we visited varied, and how the packs of brides-to-be and their entourages swarmed in the warehouse/free for all instead of the small, privately owned business which offered you a more personal experience and prices mostly under the $500 mark.
Why do people love being surrounded by other people, as they try very very hard to ignore them all? Riding around and just being around my mom and sister was a blast of oxygen after coming up from a long deep swim. They make me feel so wonderful about me and life- that's what it's all about!

As I find myself wanting to re-connect with the world, wanting to be accountable for my life, wanting to grow and change the stubborn hermit inside, my family is everything I need.
My family are interesting, sincere, beautiful people and I suppose I just generally all around think that they are better than everyone else. Even the ones I'm only related to by marriage.
Yikes, I know. I said it. Everyone else is just fine, I'm sure. I just like MY pack the best.

Even their recipes are the best. I recently threw a tantrum on the floor like a toddler when it was dinner making time. A trip to my Aunt's blog gave me the recipe and inspiration I needed to make it through with a smidge of dignity left.

Mom is the source of closeness and real love; to the family, to the whole. She's the reminder that nothing stays the same forever, but that you are loved unconditionally in between.
Sherece is my PIC. We've cut our teeth together. We are the same. We are so so very different. She is my sister and every beautiful thing that that means.
Randy and her moms were a wonderful example of another family with different issues, but the same fundamentals. Walking around with these women, looking at wedding dresses, made me take a moment and appreciate what Woman means. How important our support and influence really are to one another.

Then I came home and snuggled my inter-species family, grateful that Fred forgave me for my evil attutide at six am, and for the wagging tails and coy purrs. If togetherness is the vehicle for love and joy.
I sure have a lot of it.
<3

2 comments:

Snohomish Shepherdess said...

Isn't it funny how as children we take family for granted, as adolescents we try and distance ourselves as much as possible from them, and then as adults we begin to realize how very much they mean to us? It is this togetherness, these individual and collective relationships, that sustains us when nothing else will. Thanks for sharing -it reminds me to appreciate my pack and the love and joy of it all!

Shelly said...

Oh!! I love you, and we absolutely HAVE to go back to the mall and be Will Ferrell!! No more wedding dresses for awhile tho...but shoes, maybe?! Thanks for sharing & can't wait to see/hear more! You are so amazing girl.