Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Family Recipe

Yesterday Maggie and I drove home in the morning sun from a very peaceful fourth of July in Naselle.

The time spent with my sister was much needed, and I felt like running there after work instead of driving!
She is so good to me, and good for me to be around.

When we reached the windy peninsula, a thought occurred to me: Cook!
So I wandered into the store for supplies and it also occurred to me that at nine a.m. the obnoxious Fourth Crazies were already taking off, and good riddance!

I discovered that it is perfectly acceptable to cook up a rich, soupy sauce and dump it in a casserole of uncooked pasta, and bake it! So, I decided to give it a try. I used white sauce and accidentally bought quick cook pasta, I don't know which was the culprit but the dish turned out a little gummy, but still perfectly acceptable!



I have been craving apricots like crazy, as well as Aunt's Rhubarb bars, but missed out on the rhubarb, so I decided to make an apricot and apple tart with the recipe- I found out that I do not own measuring cups anymore. Guess I lost them in the divorce. Ha-ha.




This is my view of Maggie in the morning, from my bed. It is a cheerful sight, to wake up, and see her flat on her back, enjoying the sofa!
I woke up, vainly wishing for the feel of skin instead of sheets for the Nth time since the world ended.
It is an interesting emotion. It's a little creepy, a little sad, but there's something good in it- like I know I'm still alive. There is so much to look forward to.
My sister tells me that I shouldn't say mean things about myself, I am not in the wrong, and that I am fragile and lovely. This makes me feel good- reminds me that I will of course, bump into love again, that it will be good. It will happen when I am glowing and happy and it will SHINE!
And it will beat the pants off fancy linen sheets.
Until then, I am saving up for a set!



1 comment:

Shelly said...

Your casserole & tart looks wonderful! I don't know what quick cook pasta is... there are times that would have come in handy. Sis is right, you are lovely and fragile. Be kind to your heart. Love will come when it's time. Can't wait to see you!